Thursday, March 5, 2009

Where The Handouts Grow On Bushes

Great line from the classic old hobo anthem Big Rock Candy Mountain (you remember that from O Brother Where Art Thou?, right? Here's the clip . . .)

Listen carefully to the lyrics. It's about a fantasy world where those who lack the inclination, discipline, or foresight to fairly earn their daily bread never have to work and everything they need is there for free. So where exactly do handouts grow on bushes these days? In Washington, D.C., of course. Not for me, though - I live and spend within my means so I don't qualify. But don't feel too badly for me, my fair two readers, as I have not been completely left out of the process. Me and people like me, and our future generations, well, at least we get to pay for it.

No comments: